Why a House Cleaning Business?
Before looking at how to start a house cleaning business, let’s understand the why. In today’s day and age, most people don’t have a lot of free time and cleaning the house is an arduous chore. Given just how tiring and time consuming house cleaning can be, most working professionals are more than happy to leave the cleaning to professionals. And that’s where a home cleaning business comes in.
A home cleaning business is designed to take away all the hassles involved with keeping a house clean, making it a lucrative business proposition in modern times.
Verticals of a House Cleaning Business
While on the surface, a house cleaning business is just that; professionals who clean houses, there are many layers underneath. Some sub-services or verticals that are a part of a typical house cleaning business include:
- Residential cleaning
- Window cleaning
- Carpet cleaning
- Commercial cleaning and more
While it’s good for any business to offer a diverse collection of services, the focus should be on a singular service when starting out. This allows businesses to find their footing in local markets before diversifying their offerings.
Things to Know Before You Start a House Cleaning Business
Before you invest any money in setting up your home cleaning business, there are a few things you need to be aware of:
- Resources needed to start the business; are you hiring a full-time team that’s on your payroll or instead opting for a freelance-based model (more on this below)?
- Technologies that can aid you in growing your house cleaning business faster
- Current market rates of house cleaning services and the tools required to provide the services
- Ways of promote and market the business without overspending
How to Start a House Cleaning Business?
The process of starting a house cleaning business is pretty similar to that of any other business, wherein you start by registering the company and completing all legal paperwork, naming your business, getting business insurance, putting your staff together and advertising! Seems pretty simple, right? Well, there’s an even simpler way to start a house cleaning business.
We’re referring of course to the newest buzzword in the business world: freelance marketplace. Curious? Let’s dive right in.
Freelance House Cleaning Marketplace
What is a freelance marketplace? Essentially, a freelance marketplace is a platform that connects freelance professionals with businesses or customers who need their specific services. In terms of a cleaning business, a freelance marketplace would be a place where customers can hire the services of a cleaning professional or a cleaning professional can offer their services to customers.
In typical freelance marketplace manner, the job is allocated based on bids. A customer will post their requirements and freelance cleaners will quote their prices after understanding the amount of work involved. The customer will then finalize the bid that matches their budget and get the work done.
The Modalities of a Freelance Marketplace
Here are a few ways in which a freelance marketplace is different from any other consultation marketplace:
- As the admin of a freelance marketplace, you’ll be responsible for getting cleaners and homeowners to sign up on your platform. Without enough new projects or a lack of freelance cleaners, your freelance house cleaning marketplace wouldn’t work.
- When setting up the marketplace, you need to decide if you’re comfortable with a commoditized or non-commoditized marketplace. While the former puts the onus on you to ensure that cleaners are still paid in case of a cancellation, the latter ensures that your marketplace is not responsible for any cancellations.
- If you’re wondering what’s the source of income for running a freelance marketplace, that would be the commission you charge from both customers and cleaners who offer their services on your marketplace.
Features of a Freelance House Cleaning Marketplace
- Dynamic websites and apps that offer customer-friendly features like custom search, bidding strategy, real-time chat, and easy payments
- Powerful admin dashboard that features a robust seller management system, powerful project categorization, on-platform commission settlement and dynamic marketplace themes
- Integrated chat support, including dispute management, project discussion and negotiation on the bid price
- Private marketplace with the option of approving or rejecting sellers and buyers’ requests
- Completely customizable marketplace in terms of language support, device compatibility, and payment gateways
The market is flooded with SaaS providers that offer ready-to-go freelance marketplaces for a variety of businesses. One such company is Husky, which helps you build a freelance marketplace platform from scratch. If you’re planning on starting your very own freelance house cleaning marketplace, get in touch with us today!
Subscribe to our newsletter
'Jungleworks Entrepreneur's Den' to get access to the latest industry & product insights.