The COVID-19 pandemic has altered the way healthcare services are administered. In fact, the demand for remote patient monitoring software (RPM) is at an all-time high with an increasing number of companies actively investing in developing RPM software. According to a 2021 survey, almost 20% of hospitals and clinics in the US had adopted RPM in one form or the other while 23% were planning to integrate it soon. Curious about how you can develop a remote patient monitoring software to make your telemedicine business more impactful? Read on to find out.
What is Remote Patient Monitoring?
Remote Patient Monitoring, more commonly known as RPM, is a method of healthcare delivery that uses technology to monitor patients. Moreover, it also gather data outside traditional healthcare settings. With RPM, the confines of a physical healthcare setting are removed and patients can get the care they need in an environment they are comfortable in. RPM doesn’t just increase access to healthcare in remote areas but also decreases the cost of healthcare delivery.
Above all, RPM allows you to monitor patients in their homes, at work, in transit, or even on vacation. Some of the monitoring devices used in RPM include blood pressure cuffs to measure blood pressure, glucose meters for diabetes management, heart rate monitors. As a result, it helps to manage congestive heart failure, oximeters to measure blood oxygen levels, and many others.
The Benefits of Remote Patient Monitoring Software
- Easy access to information: Since remote monitoring solutions can be easily integrated into beds in homes and clinics, data collection and analysis becomes much easier. The collection happens in the background and automatically get uploads to the Electronic Health Record systems. Therefore, with easy access to real-time patient data, doctors can make more well-informed decisions and enhance the quality of treatment.
- Better health: Since remote patient monitoring devices such as trackers, sensors, and wearable gadgets track a patients’ blood pressure, blood glucose, oxygen saturation, and other vital signs at all times, the patient is more aware and conscious of their condition. This is particularly helpful for seniors and people with chronic conditions.
- Cost-saving: According to the 2019 Trends in Remote Patient Monitoring report, one of the biggest advantages of investing in an RPM system is the lowered costs on hospital readmissions and emergency departments. Since all vitals of a patient are monitored round the clock, doctors can more easily identify vague symptoms and more serious health ailments. According to the report, healthcare providers can save up to 65% on running a practice by offering remote monitoring solutions.
- Reduced readmissions: RPM devices can drastically decrease hospital readmission rates. Many patients who are discharged often return to the hospital complaining of dizziness, increased blood pressure, and more. But these symptoms very rarely require an in-depth examination. But with an RPM system, doctors can constantly evaluate the patient’s vitals without having to call them to the hospital for an examination.
Essential Features of an RPM software
1. Medical data tracking
Constant monitoring of vital signs is a common medical practice. But with an RPM system, this process can be automated to give doctors a better picture of the patients’ health. Some of the metrics you can track with remote patient monitoring systems include pulse, blood glucose levels, blood pressure, oxygen saturation (SpO2), and body temperature.
2. Data exchange
Since RPM devices collect medical data through sensors, this data is sharable with healthcare providers without any hassle using the cloud server. To make the transfer possible, the device will need to have a WiFi or LTE adapter. Cost-effective RPM devices also allow the transfer of medical data to the mobile app via Bluetooth
3. Decision support module
The integration of RPM solutions and computing systems allow advanced data management and analytics. Once the patient data from an RPM device is there in the database, the hospital software can automatically turn it into actionable insights and decide the next course of action.
A remote patient monitoring software with audio and video conferencing features helps make communication easier between doctors and their patients. With the simple addition of a communication feature, you can turn a basic RPM system into a full-fledged telemedicine platform. Patients can opt for online consultations for their issues and also easily involve their caretaker or family if needed.
5. Notifications and alerts
Another important feature of an RPM app is reminders that help users improve treatment and medication adherence. Important alerts about changes in health parameters and medication alerts can be shared via in-app notifications, SMS, emails or voice calls to the patients and caretakers.
How to develop RPM software for your telemedicine business
With the advancement in technology, the physical location of patients isn’t a barrier to accessing quality healthcare. If you’re looking to develop RPM software for your telemedicine business, we have just the solution for you. Introducing Panther, a Telemedicine software development platform that can help you build an end-to-end telemedicine platform where doctors and patients can connect. Some features that make Panther the go-to solution for RPM software development include:
- Voice and video calling feature to ensure patients can connect with doctors without any hassle. Using the built-in call feature doctors can provide expert consultation on the app itself.
- A real-time chat feature that helps you stay connected to your patients. Moreover, with Panther’s telehealth app, patients can ask questions and get opinions at any time irrespective of their geographical location.
- Using Panther’s telemedicine software solutions, you can add an appointment booking feature for patients and doctors in your app. Patients will receive automated reminders to reduce no-shows. Doctors and admins can manage appointments through the web scheduler or mobile application.
- Panther’s telehealth app allows for easy access to patient medical history through patient history bots. You can also keep other team members in the loop via private notes.
- Take charge of your telemedicine marketplace listings with the approval mechanism of Panther’s medical consultation software.
- Make your telemedicine app your own and personalize it according to your needs. With Panther, you’re in complete control of your medical appointment software.
Excited about partnering with Panther and taking your telemedicine business to new heights? Get in touch with our team of experts and learn more about how we can help you scale your business for an increasingly online world. And below is an E-book curated just for to gain an in-depth understanding on how remote patient monitoring platforms work.
Subscribe to our newsletter
'Jungleworks Entrepreneur's Den' to get access to the latest industry & product insights.