What is NPNT Compliance?
NPNT or ‘No Permission – No Take-off” is a software program that enables every RPA (except Nano) to obtain valid permissions through digital sky platform before operating in India.
Why NPNT Compliance?
- Due to the Security threats that drones can possess, as they come in all shapes and sizes ranging from nano to large.
- To regulate the drones properly as they not allowed in the red zones and no-go areas like within 5km of airports, military facilities and within 5km of Vijay Chowk in Delhi.
- In the worst scenario, If an NPNT compliant drone tries to breach geo-fencing, the in-built software will compel the drone to return-to-home (RTH).
No Permission No Takeoff
NPNT requires all manufacturers to implement firmware & hardware changes that only allow flights authorized by DGCA to physically take-off.
No drone will be able to fly without first specifying to the DGCA its:
- Intended flight envelope
- Time of flight
- Pilot credentials
Many countries today are using NPNT one such example is Canada they have made their ‘Safety Assured Flight Envelope’ (SAFE).
How NPNT works?
- User installs the Digital Sky App provided by DGCA
- Submit the pilot registration number with all the details of the pilot
- Submit UAV/drone UIN number with all the details
- Request for permission before flying
- UIN, UAOP and the current location is transmitted to the server
- The server checks whether its green zone, yellow zone or red zone
- Checks for other exceptional entries for no permission and the UIN, UAOP validity
- If everything seems OK then the permission is sent with a notification to the user app.
No Permission No Takeoff is a new concept in all over the world for controlling UAV usage and traffic. This is a part of Digital Sky platform released by DGCA India. The user (pilot) have to register himself(with UAOP) and the drone(with UIN) and then install a mobile app to get permission for each flight just before flying.
Subscribe to our newsletter
'Jungleworks Entrepreneur's Den' to get access to the latest industry & product insights.